An Intellectual’s Guide to Surviving a Mindless Job

I would like to dedicate this article to all of my fellow intellectuals who, by no fault of their own, have found themselves trapped in a fluorescent dungeon of boredom, forced to test the limits of their sanity  by relentlessly performing thoughtless and menial tasks for upwards of 40 hours a week.

It’s a tough economy, and it seems that having a handful of college and graduate degrees can only soften the blow so much. So here we sit, after investing years of our lives and hundreds of thousands of (the government’s) dollars into our educations, only to be performing jobs that a high-school drop out with a full-frontal lobotomy would fail to find challenging.

In order to first determine whether you fall into my target demographic of weary office drones I have prepared a short quiz.

IF:

• You are concerned that the incessant tingly feeling in your head might actually be your mind slowly going completely numb
  • You have experienced at least one sudden-onset moment of clarity during which you stopped pouring your boss’s coffee and thought to yourself “wow, I really miss thinking.”
  • The highlight of your month is an office birthday party (free cake almost compensates for a life devoid of any real meaning, right?)
  • You find yourself flying into a fit of uncontrollable rage when someone uses your mug- I mean come on; it had your NAME on it in TWO places! TWO! (I’ll save you some serious introspection time: it’s not really about the mug.)
  •  The cashier tells you that you owe $2.83 and you realize that counting out the change is the most action your brain has gotten since…you can’t even remember when.
  • You see a computer screen when you close your eyes to go to sleep at night
  • You know more about your boss’s kids than you do about your roommate
  • On at least one occasion you have accidentally answered your cell phone by mindlessly reciting the mandated greeting used at your office: “Thank you for calling ____, this is ___ speaking, how may I help you?”
  • You’re fairly confident that a machine could do your job…not even a fancy machine…on some days, possibly even a stapler.
  • You have wondered on more than one occasion if your co-workers think you’re mentally challenged. The tutorial on how to sort mail by recipient and place it in their corresponding mail box was definitely a red flag…However, the explicit instructions given on how to stuff envelopes (“you have to fold the letter into thirds, you can’t fold it in half or it won’t fit.”) was really just a slap in the face.

Then this article is for YOU!

(If not…then you’re already half-way through so you might as well keep reading. )

Sure, there are days where you start to envy the paper that you’re shredding, or when you take out your aggression on whatever unsuspecting stamp or stapler has the misfortune of crossing your path, but you can get through this. The key is to remember that this is not permanent- this is simply a temporary stop on your road to awesome career success. Odds are that this is not potentially your “big break”- if you’re anything like me a “big break” that involves working in an office doing paperwork for the rest of your life sounds like a nightmare regardless of the salary; so look at this more of a detour on your way to your big break. Hence, no need to pull your usual Type-A shenanigans. You are not trying to beat anyone out for a promotion, stand out from the competition, offer suggestions on how to restructure the company’s operations and supply methods in order to reduce overhead costs, or wow your boss with your knowledge of skeet shooting (oh he enjoys it too? You had NO idea…thanks Google!). Just do your job (no more, no less) and you won’t get stuck there forever. People who become too invested in a position that should be temporary often run the risk of having that position become permanent and fail to reach their full potential for success and happiness in life. So here are some tips to keep you from slipping headfirst into a lifetime of mind-numbing mediocrity:

How to Survive:

1. Fight your inner skeptic: Don’t question your manager’s methods regardless of how inefficient or impractical they are. There is nothing that will get you blacklisted in an office environment faster than acting (or implying, ever so subtly) that you’re smarter than the manager. Ironically common sense is far from common, so every time you are instructed to do something in an unreasonable manner, just feel lucky that you were blessed with it and proceed as instructed (Only if you’re being watched of course. If not, feel free to let your true OCD shine and implement your own far more effective, efficient, and reasonable method- I won’t tell if you won’t).
  2. Don’t be seen as a threat: Fly under the radar by completing tasks on time (not early). In the (very likely) event that you do finish your tasks early, don’t go asking around for more work. This will make the other office drones nervous about their job security and will motivate them to drive you away by whatever means necessary (most commonly employed means include: gossip, unfavorable assignments, death glares, cubicle vandalism, phantom phone calls and stolen lunches). It has the additional disadvantage of dramatically expanding your job responsibilities with even more mindless tasks, while you are still forced to keep the same low-level title and take home the same devastatingly small paycheck. You are not Bargain Barbie: you should not be doing two jobs for the salary of one. Give them what they pay for- no more, no less. Save up your energy to make a good impression at a job that counts.
  3. Always appear busy: Walk fast. People will assume you are very busy doing important things if you have to speed walk to the copy machine and the bathroom. This will keep them from piling more menial tasks on you, while simultaneously causing them to be impressed with your work ethic (so simple, yet so effective).
  4. Be positive: You’re the new kid at space camp and you haven’t earned your wings yet so take a back-seat to the office gossip. Don’t say a bad word about anyone, smile and nod to everyone, and never ever complain. Smile; because you know that you get to leave this place and go on to achieve great things while Chatty Cathy and Bitchy Beth will likely be rotting in their cubicles for the next 60 years.

How to Thrive:

1. Maximize efficiency to maximize free time which can stealthily be used to keep you sane: Successful completion of menial and/or mindless tasks comes down to sheer efficiency. So after you have skillfully powered through all of your daily assignments (likely before 10 a.m.) devote the rest of your time to looking busy while doing something that is beneficial to you. Remember, they are paying you $X an hour to do the tasks outlined in your job description. If you have done all that was asked of you then you have given them what they paid for. Your time is valuable (far more valuable than $X/hour), so spend the remaining time enhancing your own value (while maintaining the illusion that you are working your butt off for this company). Personally, I chose to learn a second language and start a blog. But it all comes down to personal preference.
  2. Keep your eye on the prize: Don’t lose sight of what it actually is that you want to do with your life and don’t put your ambition on hold just because you’ve found a momentary income. Keep exploring ways to get where you want to be and keep your options open. In some respects a job like this can be a blessing because it gives you an income while allowing you to take steps towards getting where you want to be. I actually feel like I have more time to pursue my career objectives now than I did when I was unemployed.

So chins up chicas! You pour that coffee with pride and stuff those envelopes like you mean it, because you have the satisfaction of knowing that you’re the kind of girl that refuses to settle. It’s like when you fly from DC to LA and they have that random stop-over in the mid-west; you know you’re headed somewhere truly fabulous, so you just suffer through the 90 minute layover and think about how great it will be to finally get there.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Comments on “An Intellectual’s Guide to Surviving a Mindless Job”

1. ShoesOverBooze March 8, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

this is exactly how I felt at my last job, and surprisingly at my current one. Great blog BTW!!

–Mag

• sequinsandsocrates March 8, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

Thanks girl- I’m glad you can relate! Your blog is awesome too, I’m looking forward to your next post!

2. WestSideSingleton March 9, 2012 at 6:10 am #

That’s awesome advice! I expect it’ll help me with my first university job.

• sequinsandsocrates March 11, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

Thanks so much, I hope it helps! Best of luck with your job search!! 🙂

3. Ankur Mithal March 11, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

Spot on !
    While some are honest and open about it, my hunch is that everyone, yes everyone, who works in these places feels the same way. After all, how much creativity can you stuff in an envelope, or put on an Excel sheet that already has all the formalue.

• sorryiamnotsorry March 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

Thanks so much for your comment! I completely agree. I’m not able to justify essentially trading 40 hours a week of my life for a paycheck, and I don’t feel like it has to be that way. Some people may be comfortable with this sort of trade-off, but personally I would much rather spend my time doing work that is meaningful to me, even if it means longer hours and a smaller paycheck.

4. reallifeallyson March 12, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

If that doesn’t work, save your pennies, chuck it all and backpack around the world for a year or more. Teaching english as a second language is easy to do, and will let you meander around the world with enough money, an insider’s view and the world at your feet in terms of cultural and adventurous experiences. I did it and don’t regret it one bit.

• sorryiamnotsorry March 12, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

I would actually LOVE to do that! I would really like to hear more about your experience. Where did you do it? And did you need to get ESL certified first?

• drrichard May 6, 2013 at 7:58 am #

(Just entering the conversation.) I did that 40 years ago. Just read up on places to go and then took off. At that time things were cheaper and easier, so I backpacked 9trains and buses) from France to Nepal. Later I did that from Argentina to Venezuela. Still try to travel like that occasionally–last year took a bus from Santo Domingo to Cap Haitien, stayed in a cheap hotel, took a local “tap-tap” bus/taxi, saw the big ruined fortress nearby, and took the cheap bus back to the Dominican Republic,

Really, there are still a lot of people going to hostels and living on the cheap. the idea is you gear into the local cultures, don’t expect things to be like they are at home, and live like the people do (eat where they do, travel on the cheapest trains, etc.). I never taught English abroad but know some people who have–S. Korea, the Philippines and probably some other Asian countries look like good bets. Talk to people who have done it and get more info. Like most things, this sort of life requires head work; be patient and accepting of conditions, and remember you are a guest in someone else’s country. Above all, have fun!

5. rootstoblossom March 14, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Excellent post! Funny, but also sad and true. “Not even a fancy machine- some days a stapler” I am lucky to do my mind-numbing tasks remotely from home now, but I have certainly been there. All those data entry and paper shuffling jobs – my brain aches just thinking of them. And it has taken 8 years at my current company, but I am finally allowed to give ideas, be creative and do jobs better suited to my talents. Now if they just paid me what I’m worth – I’m working on that too.

• sorryiamnotsorry March 14, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

Thanks for your comment! I’m thankful (but also sympathetic) that you can relate lol. It’s really good to hear that you were able to get to a point where you can dust off your brain and make some intellectual contributions at your job! The more ideas you contribute the more valuable you will become, and the more likely your company will be to increase your pay to try and keep you around 🙂 Best of luck and I look forward to reading more of your blog posts!

6. wishfulexpat March 14, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

YES. My job doesn’t sound quite as menial as yours (although that’s about to change), but I certainly relate to all this. Clearly I blog at work too, but I also fill my time practicing my French and trying to learn Spanish too – kindred spirits indeed!

I’ve been considering expanding my blog to include workisms as well, the office politics at my job are so rich and dramatic they will one day feature prominently in my best selling novel haha. Cool to see you can in fact pull off a dual topic blog!

• sorryiamnotsorry March 15, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

haha that’s so awesome! You should totally expand your blog to include office drama- I would love to hear about that! 🙂

7. neenergyobserver April 4, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

Love this article. Only problem is that we got so much mandated by someone somewhere junk to fill out anymore that these jobs exist. I’m an operations manager and I have these days too, although I do try to rotate them around so everyone gets to feel smarter than a stapler sometimes (Great line, BTW).

Great blog too. Good thing I don’t have anything important to do right now, this is going to be the high point of my day.

8. The Hook April 10, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

You are God;’s gift to the Office Drone!
    I slave away in a hotel, but it’s pretty much the same thing – there are simply more douchebags!

• sorryiamnotsorry April 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

haha I bet! I don’t think I would be very sucessful in any industry where my job was to make people happy. I feel like my natural instinct seems to be more towards instigating than pleasing haha

9. ÿþd March 18, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

If you’re serious about getting tons of free targeted traffic to your site, watch this 1 minute video for free at http://doneforyoutrafficz.com

10. DeeDee October 30, 2013 at 12:30 am #

I have been seriously questioning myself and what I want ‘to be’ when I grow up so I’ve gone thru a number of menial jobs in various fields…this surprisingly made me feel a lot better and am happy I found it!

Thanks so much! I know my future career and “big break” will be coming soon 🙂

11. dondecgarcinia35.webnode.com August 30, 2014 at 11:25 am #

When I originally commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me
    when new comments are added- checkbox and now whenever a comment is added I recieve four emails with the exact same comment.

There has to be an easy method you are able to remove
    me from that service? Thank you!

12. aaa January 12, 2015 at 10:34 am #

You really make it appear really easy with your presentation but
    I to find this matter to be really one thing that I think I would never understand.
    It sort of feels too complex and very broad for me.
    I’m having a look ahead in your next put up, I’ll try to get the
    dangle of it!

13. drrichard January 12, 2015 at 11:25 am #

Not bad, but the trick is to have a solid definable and achievable goal that can be reached in clearly planned steps that you have the courage to take. You don’t have to be “realistic” in the sense of not trying something because it is a risk, but you have to be able to separate the possible from the highly unlikely–while also knowing that you are capable of more than you may think you are. (And if you want to do a fun project first–as I mentioned in an earlier post it was great to just take off for India–that’s good too. But be sure to ask yourself: “What is this teaching me and after it is over, what then?”)

Otherwise without a goal you can end up like the proverbial actor driving a taxi endlessly waiting for that one big break. Time goes by surprisingly fast, and getting stuck somewhere can itself turn into a career. So I’d suggest keep learning and working (even if only a volunteer) towards what you really want. The Dali Lama put it well when he said that the secret of life was easy, it was to be happy. The big problem is to know what makes you happy.

14. aaa January 14, 2015 at 7:09 pm #

Yes! Finally someone writes about a.

15. aaa January 14, 2015 at 7:13 pm #

Simply wish to say your article is as astounding.
    The clarity in your post is simply excellent and i
    can assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

16. aaa January 14, 2015 at 7:17 pm #

If you want to improve your experience only keep visiting this website and be updated with the most recent information posted here.

17. aaa January 14, 2015 at 7:59 pm #

We stumbled over here by a different website and thought I might check things out.
    I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to finding out about your web page yet again.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Leadership and Management in America; What’s the Problem Here? Part 4 « nebraskaenergyobserver - April 12, 2012

[…] 2https://sorryiamnotsorry.com/2012/03/07/an-intellectuals-guide-to-surviving-a-mindless-job/ […]